Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Intrepid / Eastern (opposite of Eastern)

There's a Taoist proverb where there's this farmer and he's got two sons. One year the crops all die and the whole family practically starves. Some neighbors bring over a little feast and look around at the wasteland and say "Oh that's bad" - but the farmer says "It's not good or bad." The next week raping evil tribes come and kill the neighbors because they had food on their farm. Again, someone tells him, oh that's bad, but good for you man. He again declines to weigh in with opinion. Then his son has a son. ("Good!" "It's no good or bad.") Then his other son dies. Then they win the lotto; then they lose it all becasue they're morons. I don't know.

I think I live a tiny Taoist life cycle getting to work when it's this cold and snowing.
* Last night - oh shit my ipod's broken. Damn just in time for vacation. Let me get on the internet...
* This morning - oh shit it's so cold I can't possibly leave this bed. Email from NYCipoddoctor - press the middle and menu at the same time for 10 seconds. The ipod is restored.
* Perfect - it's freezing, but the laundry downstairs should have my dry cleaning ready.. I'll just wear all of it at once.
* The laundromat is not open yet and you should be on your way the hell out of Queens once it is.
* Oh fuck.. I have to go to the 42nd street office today.
* Oh great... so I can wear the same clothes as yesterday!
* It is brutally cold but I have long johns from the last time I was stranded in mid town cold beyond cold and threw myself at the feet of retailer with open door who presented long johns.
* Oh fantastic.. I missed a train full of empty seats but SURELY another train will come in the next 20 minutes and I'll get a seat on that one.
* No.
* God, it's too crowded to even reach into my bag to put the ipod phones in my ears.
* I'm alive another day on this bizarre amazing earth. A lady is taking me to the room of this office that has bagels. She is telling me that half the people in here are AUDITORS eating OUR BAGELS.

XOXO
Alexis

No comments: