Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Britney - thin but sad!

I'm not gonna type about Britney -- I just saw that phrase on this magazine that's sitting here at the reception desk. I think I'll probably type about: *old white men - don't like them * my relationship to songs *Astoria.

Starting with the songs though. When I've gone through a break up, have been wronged, feel in love, etc. etc. I wind up hearing about it in the songs I'm listening to, right? Everyone does. But isn't it a great day when you hear the song that you once thought was so achingly catharticly emblematic of what you felt and find yourself just enjoying it in a normal, "these sounds are agreeable" kind of way? I had that this morning with a Fiona Apple "you stupid stupid moron, I'm so so so so so much more brilliant than you" song today. (I feel priveleged and lucky to be a notch or two beneath Fiona for vengeance-like sentimentality. I don't particularly relate to her song about how she's going to skin the backs off her ex lovers for example... thankfully.) Moving on is the greatest though.

And I gotta thank Andre 3000 for explaining EVERYTHING to me about falling for very very successful musicians on The Love Below. Thank you Andre 3000. I'd be disasterously in love with you if we ever shagged!

Moving on, old white men are the worst. So soulless. This morning one of them frowned at me for gettting in the elevator (hey sorry but I have to be elevated too) stood in front of all the elevator buttons so I had to ask a nice lady with a lot of bags to push my floor, then stood in front of the elevator door so that said lady also had to ask him to please stop taking up the whole car like it was just for him. And he talked on his blackberry the whole way up too. So put upon. Such attitude. I can just imagine what it would be like to have to talk to this guy at night, or rather listen. I bet he has a lot of opinions based on how hard he worked and how easy things are for others and how the world's on the decline. I think the world's on the decline too but I guess I can at least be happy if the decline shocks and dismays old resentful white men. (this is not a little informed by my experiences last year, assisting Mr. Time and Money, Time and Money, Time and Money.)

Lastly, Astoria - in the next few years, it's going to explode. I'm no economist, but it's 3 subway stops from Manhattan and the rent is at present about a third of Manhattan rents for comparable spaces so I think my reasoning's solid. For some reason, the only thing happening now though is luxury development in Long Island City. I wish i had a crystal ball to see astoria in ten years. Maybe i should hold on to my tiny flat. (At my tiny flat/ there's just my cat/ a bed/ and a chair./ Still/ i'll stick it til/ I'm on some bill/ All over Times Square." - no cat actually.) Maybe in a few years it'll be "rent-controled" in the place to be. Or maybe everything will be exactly the same except more nouveau riche will be living by the 59th street bridge dizzily happy to be living with a doorman and a gym in such close proximity to the Fresh Direct warehouse.

1 comment:

kungfuramone said...

You must not sleep with Andre "Ice Cold" 3000! He is far too sexy and would make the rest of life seem just awful by comparison!