Wednesday, October 28, 2009

nothin to do but blog to you

So that Spirit of the Times and New York essay isn't yet written - partially because if that magazine truly comes to exist (the person in charge of finding investors is out of town and hard to reach: that's obviously very critical and I've only met this Executive Editor once so don't know how reliable) it won't do so til about January. If my thesis, that it is a newly spirited time, is at all right, it should still be true then, and should be different enough by January to warrant, well, a revision... I'll work on writing about it because I may as well right now... eventhough I left my notes at home - I was drunk when I wrote them anyway...

Oh - but here's what I was talking about in them. You know, A) One thing we might as well look at off the bat (because it's not very revelatory) is that I can have a feeling about the Spirit of the Times of New York and think that how I feel is an accurate description of the Spirit of New York. Like I am as good a descriptor as anybody is of what is happening spiritually to 8 million people here (more... so many more...). It's always hard to find a definition of Democracy - (The Constitution did its best but White Men) but THIS about New York feels very very democratic. If it inspires you and you live here, you are allowed to characterize it. New York is Ours, not mine or yours. Have you cried on Mass Transportation and someone's attitude toward you was beautifully tranquil or liminally irritating? That's "so New York." Do you think this "Change" slogan, which was more of a word that rose from longing (Obama you Jesus Christ you :) :) ) and became a call, is perhaps becoming a Tangible Ethos in the City after eight years that you're quite sure felt "post September Eleventh" - and by that I mean Sad, Struggling. Do you have enough friends who still feel that they're struggling to think it's bullshit of you to say The Times They are a Changin'? I do, but I'm allowed to because this is my point. Living here is all it takes to be allowed to characterize the city entire. I think creative juices are flowing. I think money's getting shaken up. I know Bloomberg will win the mayoral but I trust that some perverted tiny pebble of liberalism I sense in his character (he's a New Yorker after all) will prevail in certain places. He wants to avoid the 70's coming back at all costs. What if we change to something un70's un80's un90's and certainly un 2001-2008 where there are avenues for people to turn their struggles into different lives in a New City. With the best architecture hands down by the way.

Hmmm... I think I need my notes to write more. Maybe I'll write about my personal life now for a bit and then try to say it's emblematic of the entire New York Zeitgeist. ???? I don't like that idea too much.

:) :) :)

Happy Wednesday. It's Pouring here.

love
Alexis

No comments: