Thursday, June 25, 2009

Outrageous!

Okay I am sooo late to this, AND it makes me look like a fool, but oh my God the bank is completely Fucking Me Over and I had No Idea.

I've long noticed that my credit card is not what I thought a credit card was because I have to pay back the whole amount in order to have credit to that amount, and it's a low amount so it's kind of a joke. Sometime in the past someone told me that the key to a credit card is paying back double the minimum each month and you're always square. This is not true at all! Did you know that? I think everyone knew that but me.

So, understanding that my understanding was confused I went there, thinking that what I wanted was for them to extend my limit. I effing always pay double the minimum on that thing so... time to shine, go to the bank, yes? NO. NO. I get the populist outrage better than ever. You might be interested to know that whatever outstanding balance I have any given 10th day of the month I am charged 27.something% on that- every month. Hunh - okay -- well can you stop that - lower that interest rate then, bank? No they'd rather not. Have a nice day bank. That's fabulous.

So it turns out what I have is a card that if I use it for any amount at all I'd better, before 30 days go by, pay back exactly that much. (well - if it's the ninth of the month I think I have to pay it back THAT DAY - not even possible) I could swear I've been jacked even worse now that I'm looking at how many times they claim this has happened, and given that I've paid it to zero plenty of times too, but how can I prove it? It seems impossible to prove. The other kicker was that the bank guy's big suggestion was opening up another card. That's rich.

Everyone in the world already knows this so I just feel dumb. But glad I know now. I guess the thing is to use it on a cup of coffee once a month and pay that back "to zero" every month for a year. Everyone already knew this crap! This really is a confessional blog.

Anyway - in the end it isn't that bad -- smoking cigarettes is depleting my funds a lot lot more, but maybe you're impressed that a girl could live and work in New York and not understand her own credit card for so long.

Live and learn. In other blog news I will be e-asking-out that cute younger co-worker right before I embark for Italy - all emailing this: "Hi, July 15 my friend and my brother and I are having ask-someone-(cute)-to-a-show-night. I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow, but we're going to Southpaw for motown/soul bands July 15, once I'm back. Officially inviting you, A."

Scary hunh - and use the work emails? or try to do it on facebook? It's no big thing and I'd say the trip to Italy should pretty effectively take the edge off (for me.) Do you think I should take out the "(cute)"?

MMmmmmm I'm going to Italy.

Love
Alexis

4 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, maybe drop the cute? I could be wrong.

And yeah again: pay off your CC every month to zero. That is how you personalize the rupture with American debt culture. ACTUALIZE that shit!

Alexis said...

Thanks for commenting! This was a pretty boring post! I fb asked to be his friend. No response! Because it's weird! We have no reason to internet know eachother! :) You're right about dropping cute I think. Too much. Anyway he's 24, and not a one of his prior friends is artsy looking or anything (you know how you can see people's prior friends even when you're not friends?) so this is all in my mind -- which I realize. But it's a shame I can't just have what I cast my eye upon. That is how it ought to be.

Chrissy said...

agreed!

Chrissy said...

Oh the "just have what I cast my eye upon" thing and that thats how it should be.

I have nothing to say about credit card debt as I am definitely the WRONG person to ask about debt. Ive recently come to the conclusion that I will be in debt for the rest of my life no matter what and I just try to not let it ruin my life. Perhaps that is too passive but its what keeps me sane at this moment in my life.