Friday, February 9, 2007

I'll never be David Bowie and a joke

I used to know a girl when I was 15 who would feel very sad sometimes that she'd never have an older brother. Can you feel sad about the impossibility of certain things being facts in your life? If so, you are probably, but not definitely, a girl.

A joke:

Once there was a heterosexual married couple. The husband liked to ride his motorcycle long distances, and he also dreamed of a trip to Alaska. One day, God spoke to the man. The guy was like "Oh my God, it's God!" etc. etc. God told him he'd been a good man, so what could he do for him? He thought it over a while and said, "Please create a highway from the continental USA to Alaska. I want nothing more than to ride my bike there in a straight shoot." God said "You've got to be kidding me. Do you have any idea how much work that would be? The implications? That's an incredible deistance... the maintenence alone... Try again." The man said, "Okay, well, I'd like to know... why does my wife feel sad? Why does she cry? What is she thinking? What's makes her feel so sad sometimes?" God said "So... two-lanes or four?"

In my unfunny version of the joke, God says "That's because she'll never be a man. And sometimes this gives her the sensation that she's not achieving some potential she feels within herself, but simply has no model for acheiving."

I think the general accessibility to celebrity and genius and all that comes with it, could make girls of us all, in this sense. Plenty of great guys will never be as cool as David Bowie either. David Bowie is the most awesome person ever. You will never ever be him. You can only be you. Envy. Living with envy. We're all women.

5 comments:

kungfuramone said...

That joke is way funny. Ma femme thought so too.

Eff Gwazdor said...

If you were a guy, you would fed to the sharks for that joke.

I don't think David Bowie is all that amazing. I like singing his music at Karaoke, but I mean, you are really really into this "fame" thing.

I want you to be more specific about it.

Alexis said...

Eff Gwador is not in the country.

I am way into fame. "Is it any wonder, I'll forget you first?" Un-hunh... I want to own that kind of statement.

But as far as David Bowie is concerned, if you don't feel it, there's no way I can explain it to you. I think he is the polestar of sexiness and talent. I think both those qualties... sexiness and talent, are experienced by the experiencer (on in their presence) as a kind of envy -- a yearning to be that... and it eats its own head so to speak. Am I wrong? that man is... he's just... yes.

Idalia said...

As someone who agrees about David Bowie, I think it's worlds better not to be David Bowie, because I'm sure it's not as much fun watching David Bowie if you are him, and with no David Bowie in it to watch the world would be missing a crucial texture.

Alexis said...

Idalia I don't know if you're Pollyanna or just genius.

I think he probably has a lot of fun being him -- NOT because ooooh people know who he is (I mean people know who Storm Philips is) but because it must FEEL so good to rock. The rush... A lot of the rush I get seeing him, hearing him, is imagining the rush he gets being him. I also feel this way about people who can really play the violin/ cello/ piano.... but for overall, speak in tongues, rip off my clothes, david bowie.