Sunday, March 14, 2010

We all know

what "freaked out" means. Memphis just freaked me out. Why was i just in Memphis for twenty four hours? A guy named Steve I met three weeks ago so drunk and delighted after a night at Mike and Wendy's in Westchester with Kelly in a bar by Grand Central Station flew me down. He lives, at the moment, in Arkansas. He is drunk and sweet and a little passive in that rich, so sweet, and it's all been too easy way. (But of course somehow no one has it really easy - because women are never easy... [people are never easy - love is impossible] but I digress... )

Would anyone have wagered that Memphis would turn out to suit me? (it doesn't - It is a freakout!) Hicks are scary! Or anyway - they are a freak out. Don't you agree?

I find that Southerners have a common weirdness about Jews. Listen, hicks scare me, but tolerant one that I am, when I think about it tolerantly, I didn't understand that Jewish is your ethnicity, religious or not, and it's about bloodlines that are traceable and that is what a tribe is until, I don't know, my junior year, when I joked with Megan and my Dad that the big new Polish boy in Math class would surely ask me to prom and it would be great how we're both Polish and my Dad was like "What's your problem? You're not Polish." It was much like the time I explained to him that the Fourth of July is The Statue of Liberty's birthday long after I should not have thought that. Blame NJ. I do. - and that is just how I blame memphis for how those crazy chilling accent nutty scary people are!

more soon.

1 comment:

kungfuramone said...

I can't believe you survived the Memphis Butcher and his Backyard Pogromin' Boys!