Thursday, November 30, 2006

An enormous tree between more enormous buildings

Well, the tree has been lit. It was the major event of the last few weeks here at work -- the tree... inviting people to come see it be lit, answering calls regarding the lighting ceremony. Now it's done.

People love this tree. I don't like Christmas so much. I like Thanksgiving and I like Three Kings Day with my Puerto Rican non-blood relatives. Christmas is ugly if you ask me. A) The consumerism B) The whole concept that NOW we believe in good will and some kind of unity of all, some common denominator idea, that is supposed to SUDDENLY arise in us all - for about four weeks. I think this is moronic. Sorry. It's necessary to have a winter holiday so everyone doesn't shoot themselves. But am I wrong that it's moronic how people get about large lit up trees and plastering flakes and santas all over things? Maybe I'm deficient. These things don't bring me joy. The Nutcracker is good at Lincoln Center. Holiday cheer is alright but coming to Rockefeller Center every day will scrooge you. I don't know how it couldn't.

So I'm thinking this must be so with lots of things that bring the massess happiness. Or all. Like everything that's supposed to basically make nearly everyone in America happy... say, theme-parks, blockbuster movies, radio call-in contests.... do the people who make these things reality hate them, or at least get very far over them. Yes. Everyone who works at the theme park probably hates everyone who comes to the theme park. People who make movies... God help them. etc. My thesis here: the little "magical" things you like were orchestrated by someone who doesn't think it's magical at all. You have to be as crazy as me for that to bother you.

1 comment:

Mike B. said...

All my non-Jewish friends think Christmas in New York is "so pretty" etc. etc. It's nice to hear that someone else is grumped out by all of it. It's just so garish and overdone, and Christmas is just not a large-scale urban holiday. Plus, the better the xmas decorations are, the more people there are trying to look at them, which just makes them worse. "Hey, that's pret--ouch! Watch it dude!"

(Hi Alexis! It's Mike Barthel!)