Thursday, May 8, 2008

I saw my favorite play last night

I really think it is my favorite play. "Top Girls" by Caryl Churchill.

I think I will be freakish about it and try to see it as many times as I possibly can while it is on Broadway. Next time definitely from a much closer row.

It was great to see it because as you may have noticed I'm in need of inspriation and while it doesn't send me off writing or something, it actually puts me in that mental space where I feel like there is a such thing in the world as an "idea" -- something intangible that you can only write a play around -- not just say in a sentence or write off with a sentence. Being depressed lately has felt like there's a summary for everything and it's "So what?" or "what's the difference." Seeing this play is like entering that so-hard-to-find-mental-place that's more like "Yes--- I agree? Can I 'agree' with dialogue and scenarios? Yes. I know what this is, I see what this is about."

I'll spare you my review of the production becasue no one knows this play. I was so lucky to see it in London years ago. I need to go back and sit in a row where I can see anyway...

XOXO -- thanks so much for sending little thoughts that you hope I feel better by the way. I'm totally impressed with myself that I kind of do! I actually am seeing a real life therapist this evening because I was so tear-y earlier in the week I decided it would be a good thing. We'll see! Wouldn't it be awful if this blog became things I said in actual therapy!?!? I promise not to do that.

love
Alexis

1 comment:

kungfuramone said...

But the whole raison d'etre of "won't get therapy, will talk to computer" has been COMPROMISED by this decision!

But I'm just kidding. Probably a good idea to talk to a smart, sympathetic, highly-trained person.